Solvent to eat glue but not ruin wood

Hi, folks --

Thanks for all the good ideas regarding the wood trim on my '66 project
car.  Getting the panels out is half the fun.  Then I'll have to clean the
existing contact cement off them and off the surface where I want to
reinstall them after the wood has been refinished.  Please keep in mind I
have to do this anyway for one dashboard panel that has fallen out of its
own accord, so I'm considering doing the same for all the panels.

Since the glue holding the metal panels to the dash, wheel, etc. is contact
cement, shouldn't I be able to use mineral spirits and/or xylene to
dissolve it without hurting the wood?  I am curious if some woodworker on
the list can comment regarding this.

Also, should it be safe for the wood, how about the surrounding trim made
of chrome and other materials?  Are mineral spirits and/or xylene safe to
use around them?  I don't have a parts car dash to experiment with or use
as a source for replacements if I screw up what I've got.

Thanks,

David

'91 K-Imperial driver
'66 Crown Coupe project
'66 Newport 383 dual exhaust .030 over Eddys/Hurst/Cragars daughter's first
Mopar