Re: IML: Bellows brakes issues

If the vacuum hoses are hooked up correctly, and it still contracts by itself, check the actuating plunger (a small nylon button behind the brake pedal arm).    I've had several of these Bellows systems, and almost all of them had a problem with that actuater sticking, causing the bellows either to contract by themselves or the pedal would "chatter" when pressed.    In all these cases, the best thing was....and I know it's tedious and time-consuming, but take the bellows unit out of the vehicle and strip it down, cleaning all it's parts with soap and water.   I usually use laundry detergent full concentrate and a toothbrush to cut the heavy grease and grime.    BE CAREFUL THOUGH, it's spring loaded!!!

Every one of my bellows boosters worked perfectly after doing this.    I tried shortcuts like a dab of oil here and there, but those fixes never lasted long.    If you have any further questions, feel free to contact me off-list and I'll be more than happy to help.

Best Wishes!!!

Chris

59 Crown 4dr HT
60 Crown 4dr Seeeedan!
58 Plymouth Christine

bom tie <bomtie@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have a car new to me that has a bellows power booster. I replaced all the cylinder and hoses first thing. Second I looked to see if I could make it run. When the car starts the bellows comtract and the brake pedal goes to the floor, what is this about??????
Thanks,
Charles Major in KY