RE: IML: U-Haul vs private carrier

That distance if you go on line for a hauler (by searching on "automobile transporting" and the like) will be near $1000, many of the companies will give you a free estimate. There is a dealer/hauler exchange service which dealers and haulers subscribe to for around $400 per year which allows dealers to post a hauling need and the price the dealer is willing to pay, then haulers who are going to be deadheading from the area of the pickup toward the destination can contact the dealer and take on the job. A dealer friend of mine used to subscribed to this service and got my '56 Windsor hauled from Washington State to Indiana for $700, but he doesn't subscribe any more. Anyway, if you have bids around $1000, then put the cost of the one-way U-haul dolly or trailer against that, plus gasoline, to get a good comparison. If your RAM is a 1/2 ton, it will be a chore and hard on everything including yourself. If a 3/4 ton it works better. I use my '88 1/2 ton 4X4 for local hauling of smaller cars when needed but always use the '76 3/4 ton 4X4 for long distance, and both types of hauls are made with an 18' flatbed with electric brakes on both axles. (which my '65 Imperials hang over the end) If you use a dolly, you'll have no auxilary brakes. However, the U-haul car-hauling trailers have surge brakes I believe.

From: Imperial48@xxxxxxx
Subject: IML: U-Haul vs private carrier
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 22:31:16 EDT

Hi!

I'm trying to decide which is the best way to get my '48 Crown Imperial from
MN to AZ. Although I have many talents I can't drive two vehicles at the
same time. I have reserved a U-Haul transport for 2 weeks from now which was my
original plan, to pull behind my Dodge Ram. However tonight I was thinking
of all the wear and tear, etc. as well as a the WEIGHT issue and started to
think of a possible alternative via a professional carrier.

Do any of you know any contacts for a reputable carrier? I think I'm much
better off checking out all of the possibilites. The limo is about 20
minutes NE of downtown St. Paul and would be delivered to the Eastern side of Mesa,
AZ.

I know that some carriers use flatbeds and other use walled trailers. Info
on either will be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Ned ~ '48 Crown Imperial