Re: IML: IML Paint the Radiator, '58 Southampton

Re: IML: IML Paint the Radiator, '58 Southampton

If you have asked them not to paint it already, and they actually listen to you and do not paint it, i have one small word of caution: don't use too much paint if you do it yourself.

I painted the radiator on my 71 and discovered it took a LOT of paint to get it uniformly black. I then discovered that if you put too much paint on it it will gunk up the fins or the blades or whatever the heck the thin little strips of metal are called, and interfere with the radiator's ability to dissipate heat. You will also smell burning paint for quite awhile when the radiator gets hot.

So my advice to you is, either let them paint it, or go out and buy a paint made for radiators and don't use too much.

As for color, I'm guessing black, but whether it is a gloss black or a flat black I don't know. in 71 it seemed to be a matte black.

Mark M