Re: IML: Special Handling '74 Coupe

My father ordered a 1970 Dodge Polara slant six sedan in the fall of 1969
with but two options - Torqueflite and wheels painted body colour (black was
the standard colour for the wheels).  It did not have a "Special Handling"
tag.   A customer ordering a car with specific options is not that uncommon,
and if it was I suspect the tag would read "Special Order",   Special
Handling probably referred to the car being built for some corporate brass
member or some government or diplomatic official.  The car was either put
together with a bit more care as a result or was taken from the end of the
line and shipped differently than normal.

A car that was built to a customer order had "Y14", for "Sold Car", which
meant the dealer had a buyer for the car.   A car that was built for
Chrysler's infamous sales bank was labelled "Y16".  My 1978 Dodge Monaco
Brougham was ordered by the dealer for his back lot and had neither Y14 nor
Y16.   I owned a 1972 Dodge Polara 2-door hardtop that had Y33 - fleet
sales.

Remember, someone has to place the order for all cars and choose the
equipment.  The only time Chrysler built cars without an order was when they
built cars for the sales bank, and they were tagged Y16.

If a dealer ordered a car for his back lot, the dealer chose the colours,
models and options, keeping in mind what would sell in the market in his
area.  A customer placing an order for a vehicle would be no different than
that of the dealer.  Both would be placed by the dealer with Chrysler, but
the dealer would want the customer's order to be built as soon as possible.
The sooner the car arrived at the dealer's lot, the sooner the dealer could
collect the balance the car's price.  Thus a car built to a customer's
request was tagged Y14.   That car would have been given priority over a car
built for a dealer or the sales bank.

Bill
Vancouver, BC