Re: IML: IML. Spotted one (1991?)

In addition to Moparius Maximus( 1966 Crown 4drht) and a
1962 Le Baron 4drht( This one is available for some one that
needs a good driver car), we also have a 1991 Fifth Avenue
that we have now owned for several years.

Before we purchased the Fifth Avenue, I asked a good friend
of mine who has spent many years doing transmission
overhauls about the infamous A604 transmission that has
become a sort of albatross to the image of Mopar trannys.
And what we were told is this:

1. These trannys are as good as anything else in the Mopar
family. The reason that they have been shunned by most
buyers is that the fliuds used in most servicing operations
is the wrong choice. Generally speaking, people add some
version of the Decron II ( or something related) and this
fluid is the kiss of death to the A604 tranny.

2. To keep these trannies running only add Mopar 7176 fluid
or the market equivalent. My friend has one of these cars
and he needed some fluid one time and put in the wrong
stuff( Decron) and the car started to act up within a few
days. He drained the bad stuff, put back the 7176 and no
more trouble.

3. The reason this happens is due to the very close
tolerances built in to the A604 and the fact that Decron
stuff has some sort of sand paper like stuff( very high-
tech explanation) that just eats up the innards of the A604.

 on 08/11/04 23:53, A. Foster at monkeypuzzle1@xxxxxxx