RE: IML: '67 LeBaron update

Tom,

What I'm doing is nothing new.  I got the idea from the Imperial site:
http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Brakes/interchange.htm

I had been looking at the possibility of using later C-body ('74-78) or
possibly 1/2 2WD Ram spindles (various combinations over those years).  Even
'87-96 2WD Dakotas.  All those vehicles share the same ball joints.

Since I was striking out on any of the spindles on the list, I decided to
bite the bullet (or plastic) and called several of the yards listed on the
site.  Several people were helpful, but didn't have what I needed.  Murray
Park had the parts, had the best price, and was very helpful.

The parts needed were the everything between the ball joints.  Steering
knuckles/spindles, caliper adapters, calipers, rotors, and outer tie rod
ends.  The donor vehicle in this case was a '71 Imperial.  The quotes I
received ran from a high of $500 to a low of $350, plus shipping.  That's a
bit higher than the A-body brake setups I'm used to working with for
$150-200.

I bought the calipers a little while back.  They came from Autozone, and I
think were something like $65/ea loaded.  I'll have to dig out the receipt.
The kit came with pads, pins, and reman calipers.  I had ordered them for
the '67 system, but the listing they had obviously was incorrect.

My reasoning behind the swap was for the availability of replacement parts.
I know several people out here are quite happy with their Budd system.  I
didn't feel like dealing with it.  The later calipers are readily available,
as they were used on several other Mopars over a much longer time period.

If the brake system worked on my car when I bought it, I would have left it
alone until it acted up.  However, the car had been parked for about 15
years, and the pedal had all the effective stopping power of a wet sponge.

The parts haven't made it onto the car just yet.  I am going to buy new ball
joints, bushings, etc. for it and just rebuild the front end while it's
apart.  I don't know if the weather here will cooperate with me long enough
to pull it off before I have to put the car in storage.  I'll post an update
when it happens.

Rob McCall
'67 LeBaron

Subject: RE: IML: '67 LeBaron update

Rob,

Would you please give a brief description of your brake upgrade? What was
the donor car - year etc. What all parts are required? Approximate cost of
parts?

Many thanks
Tom