Re: IML: Weight

     I have absolutely no use what so ever for Ford provided scissors jacks.
I have been driving company supplied Fords, which means new ones, since
1978. I run about 50,000 milies per year, pretty much on gravel or tar and
chip.  Occasionally, I do get an Interstate. I own 4 spares--2 are in the
car, the other 2 are at the repair shop.  There is a different jack supplied
for each model, the larger the car, the heftier the jack. If you want a
littany of why I don't own any Fords personally, write me and I will give
you a crying history, off list.  The jacks have been the least of the
problems, and the jacks have been totally worthless. The latest ones have a
really neat trick--the lug wrench operates the jack--OK, not a bad idea,
except that the wrench doesn't fit outside the nut, like a real socket
wrench, it fits INSIDE THE FITTING ON THE JACK.  So if you stress the wrench
on the wheel nut getting it loose, you are screwed trying to get the jack
back down, because the sheet metal lugwrench will no longer go inside the
jack wrench.   It took far too little effort for me to shove the car over,
off the jack, to consider the idea of the car on that jack to be safe to
change a tire.  I did destroy the factory jack, too.
    There are a lot of catalogs, like NORTHERNTOOL.COM, or
HARBORFREIGHT.COM, or you can go to Sears or most auto parts stores, or Farm
and Fleet stores, and get a cheap hydraulic jack that is so superior to the
Ford jacks and a whole lot less work to use, for about $20. You have to pay
attention to how you store them, because unless you keep them flat, they
leak oil, and that reduces how far they will raise.  It also make a mess.
These are great for changing a tire.  You still need something substantial,
like jack stands, or large cross section lumber if you intend to get under
the car.
     Unfortunately, most factory jacks are crap.