Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 11:34 PM
Subject: IML: Life in Winterpeg, Manitscolda

I've lived through nearly 40 Manitoba winters and over half of those I've
been a motorist. With temperatures going down to -40F (-40C) in the winter
(and I'm not talking wind chill!), Winnipeg is a good place to learn how to
survive in the cold. I've learned a few things.

What you say is so true. It is said that the Eskimos have about a dozen or
more words for snow. There are so many different kinds of snow. There is
wet, dry, packed, fluffy, etc etc. In the winter here, things get really
nasty when the temperature is within 5 deg of freezing either way. When its
cold, all you have to deal with is the cold, and sometimes the wind.

As for the vehicle, there are a few items that are important for trouble
free winter motoring.
1. Keep engine in good tune.
2. Use light weight or synthetic oil.  5W30 multigrade or 10W30 100%
synthetic.
3. Have a good block heater.  In a 440, its best to have two, one on each
side.
4. Have a good battery.  In cold temps, a battery looses half of its
cranking power.  I never buy anything less than a 1000 CCA battery. (Cold
Cranking Amps)

There are many more things that will help make winter a non-event but these
are the basics for keeping your car mobile in the cold. There are tire
considerations, schemes to avoid frozen fuel lines, cold weather survival
kits, booster cables, ice scrapers, winter wipers, battery blankets,
interior heaters, and much more.

My big blocks are excellent winter engines. I drove my 1978 Newport (400
cid) for two winters and it doesn't have any block heaters, having come from
the west coast. I just put in 100% synthetic oil and a good battery and it
started perfectly every time. I drove my 77 NYB (440 cid) all last winter
and it performed perfectly. That car has two nice big block heaters.

I think the key is to not expect things to be as they are in the warm
weather. Everything will be a little different, some things won't work as
well and some things won't work at all...live with it. The weather has
warmed up every spring for the last 40 years so I expect it will again next
spring too.

-19F (-28C) here now with -40 wind chill and going colder tonight.

Please quote this message in your reply.  Otherwise I will be unable to
reply to your message.  Thanks.