IML: Steering Wheel Index Section

Within the past year, I've had both a '63 Imperial and a '63 Plymouth steering wheel off the steering shaft. Both had a raised section of splines on the steering wheel side that fit into a narrow 'de-splined' section on the steering column shaft. So, on both of these cars, the steering wheel goes on only one way. The top inside of the female part, being the steering wheel, clearly shows this raised section.

Eric
Portland, Oregon
Excuse me if this is out of place or Im wrong..but dont most if not all
steering wheels have a master spline that corresponds to a like spline on
the steering wheel shaft so they only go on one way?  Seems that my
Imperial, Charger, Barracuda, and most every other car Ive ever owned was
that way.  I wont argue the point of getting the basic alignments down
before getting the car to a front end shop, but as I recall the various
shafts all have a master spline, including the pitman arm .