Re: [FWDLK] 1958 Torqueflite Transmission Fluid

John Bayerlein wrote:

> Can we use Dextron ll in our '58 Belvedere or should we use
> Type A or F?

Car Collector Mag. had an article about trans fluid in May.  It seems
that
Type A fluid is actually its own unique type, of which I have never seen
for
sale anywhere.

Type F fluid will give a Type A trans harsher shifts, as it adds more
friction (actually the F is for "friction" not "Ford"). Dexron/Mercon
will
give a Type A trans softer shifts, as it reduces friction.  The article
claims that neither one will hurt a Type A trans.

So, if you want smoother shifts, use Dexron/Mercon.  If you want more of
performance feel, use Type F.  Neither is "correct", but neither will
hurt
the trans.

The picture in the article shows an Aamco bottle of fluid (the new
Chrysler/Mitsubishi type of fluid Type 7176),  but this is NOT the same
as
Type A though.  I checked with several rebuilders, including Aamco, and
none
have seen Type A for sale in the last 25 years.  The general consensus
is
that any Dexron/Mercon fluid, with a thingy of anti-foaming agent
(available
at any GM parts counter), is the best substitute for Type A.