Re: [FWDLK] Newer 318 into 56 Savoy

Scott,
        Depending on your budget, there's alot that can be done with the small
blocks.  Lots of good bolt-on goodies from Mopar Performance and others... if
you don't yet have one, get a copy of the new Mopar Performance Catalog and
the Engine Book for proven performance tips.  You could easily have that bad
boy running in the 12's on pump gas.
        Like they say, there's no replacement for displacement!  I'd go with the 360.
There are oil pans with different sump locations, but just remember that the
360 uses a different pan than the 273-318-340.  If your pockets are deep, you
can get almost 400 inches out of a stroked 360!  You can get the 380hp crate
motor for around $3500, ready to rock.  Screw on your carb (or fuel injection)
and hang on!  The 300hp motor is a few hundred less for the weak at heart.
Lots of good info in the Mopar magazines... let me know if you need some.  You
won't get the brutal torque of the big block, but the car will handle alot
better not being so nose heavy.  How much tire can you really get on a '56
anyway?
        If I'm not mistaken, the small block will bolt to your bellhousing.  I could
be (and probably am) wrong on this.  Even if it will, you will need some
adaptation to the torque convertor.  You might think about using the A-518
with overdrive so you could use a little more rear gear (3.91-4.10?)  I'm
working on an adapter that will allow the use of the push buttons with the
later trans.  I'm also working on a control package to engage the OD
automatically.
        As far as the swap goes, you may have to do a little fabricating.  I'd be
happy to help you develop swap mounts... I'm trying to put together some kits.
        Let me know if there is anything I can do!

Steve