Re: [FWDLK] 1950's Dodge V8 Engine

-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua Ackerman <jackerman@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Friday, February 05, 1999 12:22 PM
Subject: [FWDLK] 1950's Dodge V8 Engine

The V8 used in the 1955 Plymouth the Dodge 241 V8 of 1953-1954 with
polyheads (157bhp@4400).  The bore was increased from 3.44" to 3.56" to
become the 260 cid V8 for the same year (167@4400).  Canadian-built Plymouth
Belvederes and Dodge Mayfairs used the same engines (the Plaza, Savoy,
Crusader and Regent came only as 6's in Canada - engines were imported from
Detroit). The Canadian-built Dodge Custom Royal used the 270cid V8
(3.63"x3.25") with 183bhp@4400 - the same as its American counterpart.

For 1956 the base Plymouth V8 was a 277cid engine (3.75"x3.13", 187bhp@4400)
but the Plaza and Savoy series had a 270cid V8 as an option  (3.63" x 3.26",
180bhp@4400).  The Fury came with the Canadian-built 303cid V8 (3.81" x
3.31", 240bhp@4800) based on the engine used in the Canadian-built Dodge
Custom Royal (200bhp@4400) and Chrysler Windsor.  Canadian-built Plymouth
and Dodge models used the 270cid engine.  The Fury was not sold in Canada.

For 1957 the Plymouth V8 for the Plaza was the 277cid engine (197@4400) with
a 301cid (3.91"x3.13", 235@4400) optional.   The Belvedere and Savoy used
the 301 cid engine (215@4400 std,  235@4400 optional) while the Fury got the
318cid (3.91"x3.31", 290@5400). Canadian Plymouths and Dodges used the