Re: [FWDLK] Rear Axle

Ken,

This will be very helpful when I need to pull an axel.

Do you know that there is a grease fitting (plug) on the axel housing, a few
inches in-board from the brake backing plate, to feed grease to the outer
axel bearings? Useful for future service to avoid redoing the bearings.

The Miller Tool catalogue price for C499 is $13.95 (in 1956). To bad we
can't just order one. This tool looks very much like the bearing installer
shown on page 365, fig 37, in the 56 Dodge Shop Manual. I wonder if there is
a grave yard for old tools? Where do they all go?

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500
At 03:39 PM 2/22/99 -0600, you wrote:
>I recently removed the axles on my 56 Dodge Custom Royal.  The shop book
>said tool CE499 was required.  Not having one and not having a picture of
>one, I had quite a problem.
>
>I determined that the bearing was retained by a press fit bearing race.
>Tool CE499 must have been a puller of some type.  I decided to make one of
>my own.
>
>I took a 3" iron pipe cap which is about the same diameter as the axle
>flange.  I cut out clearance notches for the bolts that hold the brake
>backing plate in place.  I drilled a 1 1/2" hole in the center of the cap so
>the tapered axle would slip through.  I welded a length of 1 1/2" pipe to
>the cap and used some 1" washers to block off the end of the pipe.  This
>tool slipped over the axle and the drum retaining nut applied the pressure
>to pull out the bearing race.  I had to remove the nut and add a few extra
>washers to get the race all the way out.
>
>All in all it worked very well.  Hope this helps others sometime.
>
>Ken Rimington
>1956 Dodge Custom Royal

Dave