Brand New Member With A 1960 Dodge Dart Pioneer

Brand New Member With A 1960 Dodge Dart Pioneer

What a tremendous opportunity to yak with fellow Mopar enthusiasts !

For the last 15 years I have been the proud owner of one (actually two -
the other is in pieces in the basement) 1960 Dodge Dart Pioneer 4 dr sedan,
nicely equipped with the following:

318 Red Ram V-8 (2bbl)
Torqueflite Transmission
Foot Actuated Windshield Washer
Factory Seatbelts
Rear Defroster
Rear Radio Speaker

The year was 1983, I was 15 years old and on the verge of getting my
driving permit. I had already fallen in love with the old cars - old Mopars
were the epitome of coolness. So, one day my mother come home from work and
says - "I just saw this really neat old car down the block for sale, do you
want to go look at it ?" She didn't have to ask twice.

There it sat in that dirt lot, big, finned, black, and beautiful. My mother
still tells the story about how I got this far off look in my eyes and in
true Arnie Cunningham (Christine) fashion said "Mom, it talks to me." Dad
negotiated the price and I can remember feeling weak in the knees when he
told the seller that "$400.00 was too much for it." I remember screaming
(internally) "oh come on ! You're about to ruin my life !" Anyway, we
bought it, $400.00, and I brought it home 1 week later.

I drove her through High School, and as luck would have it I found another
one in a junk yard with a better body and a clear title. I spent the next
six years combining the two, taking the best parts from both, re-doing the
interior, the body work, and then finishing it off with 12 coats of black
lacquer. Funding for the restoration came from long summers spent digging
clams on Long Island's Great South Bay. Whenever people ask me how much it
cost me to restore the car I answer them in clams.

Presently I am on the verge of restoring it again. The last 15 years has
seen my knowledge and resources improve dramatically and within the next
year I will begin on it again - this time taking it down to the frame.

I would love to hear from anyone with any of the '60 Dart models, and also
if anyone has info or a color picture of what the engine compartment should
look like please contact me. Also, does there exist on this planet a way to
convert the bolt through the can oil filter to a standard spin on type.
Your help would be greatly appreciated.

If you would like to see a picture, go to the 1960 Dodge Home Page at:

http://www.pacificcoast.net/~acmesafe/60dodge.htm

Look for Ed and Jan's Pioneer.

Thanks ! Have a Great Day !

Ed