[FORWARDLOOK] Oil filter adapters

Exerpted from WPC bulletin p.19/20  Sept. 1995
as written by Ron Wenzel, Sidney, B.C., Canada

Apparently the hemi Chryslers even to just 240 ci may have spin-on
oil filters added.  However it requires  tapping of a large size
hole, which many of us without a machine shop or  such may not
be able to do unless hired out.

Basically one buys  three items- a stamped flat plate adapter
PN 2402103, a double ended threaded adapter PN 3671602, and
gasket PN 3671314.  (The gasket MAY be same one that comes
with the old replaceable element filters .) A note with the article says
the 3 parts mentioned are currently used on 318/360 engines.

The hemi evidently has a cast seat or base
that allows the filter to sit on, its seat parallel to the ground.
There is a by pass notch in the cast housing that must be plugged
since the spin-on has its own bypass valve.  The 7/16 dia. hole
in the cast housing that currently the long bolt goes into must
be plugged at the bottom with a  short 7/16-14UNC set screw and loctite
 so oil will not bypass the filter.  Finally, and the most difficult, the
upper portion of the housing that the 7/16 bolt initially goes thru
must be drilled to 11/16 and tapped with a 3/4-16NF tap after
removing the element guide bushing- which is pressed
into the cast housing.  This last operation allows the filter to
spin onto the cast housing AND it must be tapped so the filter will
seal against the gasket- perhaps one must try it to verify????  The
NF hole must be concentric with the original hole so the new
filter spins onto the original seat accurately. This is a must!!

A parts manager I know said he installed a spin-on filter on his
62 318 wagon using only the 3 parts, no machining needed.  And
said I could use on my 277 also.  I tried and had oil all over the
floor, even finding a double thick gasket did not help.  A couple
months later a rebuild shop told me  there was a fitting in the block
that I needed to remove....  However by this time the car had been
on the road with a new TP filter in the original housing, just like
Walter originally planned.

Hope the above helps those interested.
IMHO, having changed insert filters since my 62 Plymouth 318 Savoy
(Bought new in  Spring of 63)  once U know how to do it , leaks are not a
problem.  And with the few miles most of us drive, a change once a year
is also not a problem?  NAPA always has a filter too!!!!!!!

Hey I have a stash of old car brochures, many foreign, many of which I drove
'back then' like a Goliath, Fiat 1100, Dyna Panhard, etc etc.  Also some
Moparz,
I will check them out and post it here first as to price and availability.
Stay tuned.

Lars