Re: [FORWARDLOOK] >>>Floor Panels

Hi Ken,  I know a little about body work so I will try to answer your
questions.

    1. We always use a die grinder to cut panels.  Use a panel cutter to
cut the center out.  Leave a couple of inches on the outer perimeter,  then
use a die grinder to make your final cut.  It also depends on what kind of
vehicle you are working on.  Some are unibody cars some have full frames.
The unibodys are the best to work on.  It is easier to hide the seam on the
bottom side.  The factory usually puts undercoat or calking on the top side
to hide the seam.

    2. I always like to lap a panel when working on a trunk or interior
floor.  Some times you are unable to use a offset tool because of ribs,
braces or accessability.  I always look for a factory seam.

    3. lapping a panel and plug welding is the best.  It causes less
warpage than other methods.  One example is if you are putting a trunk
floor in a 300G.  Take a die grinder and cut on top of the inside of the
frame rail. The panel that you are putting in will rest on one half of the
lip and the existing floor is on the other half.  Then plug weld every two
to three inches.  At the front of the floor there is a brace.  Use the same
procedure.  You will not see any seam on the bottom side because of  the
frame and bracing.  The top seam can be filled or calked or undercoated.
At the rear of the floor is a factory seam.  The factory was very liberal
with caulking.

    4. In my opinion seat belts do not detract from the show quality of a
car.  They are safety related items.   Most judges would not tick you for
them, unless of course their the other guys brother-in -law, friend,
business partner, etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc. I have a thing about shows and
judges.

    5. I do not think that color changing would adversely affect the show
quality of the car,  however if you were at a show and running neck and
neck with another car and your ID plate refelected a different color and
the other cars ID was correct you would come in second.

    6. I would paint the trunk interior with the correct color.

    Larry Menges