Re: [FORWARDLOOK] Mopar Yards

Bill A wrote:

>            Don
>
> I just confirmed, the name is Winakors, and yes they are open weekends
> only. From Salem Four Corners go east, then your first left, up the hill
> a few miles. The parking area is about !/4 mile past the first group of
> hulks you come to.
>
> Bill

Winakors.  I grew up around there.  That's who they are.  I'd forgotten
their name.

When I was there last about twelve years ago, I found a solid white '56
DeSoto Adventurer lost in the woods removed from all the other cars.
Thought it was a Fireflite or Firedome until I opened the door and saw
the tweed and gold inside.  Looked at the exterior of the car more
closely and saw where the Adventurer nameplates had fallen off.
(Leslie, this is the car I told you about last year.  Been meaning to go
back to see whether it's still there and haven't, yet.)

There was a '57 Firedome convertible there, too, I remember.

When we were teenagers in the 70s, we used to go to that yard and wander
and stare amazed.  Seemed every car in it had been an expensive one --
Imperials, Chryslers, Cadillacs, Packards, and wood-paneled Country
Squire and Roadmaster station wagons.  Bonneville convertibles.  Etc.
Like there'd been some town nearby with rich people who all just upped
and moved one September day and never returned, leaving the guys who
owned the yard to come and haul away their abandoned summer cars.
Thanks for the memory.  I'd forgotten.

Regards,
Chris Whalen