[FORWARDLOOK] Engine Numbers

1) What can you tell about an engine from the serial numbers on the block? I
have an engine with the numbers L350  25543 stamped on the boss below the
distributor, front right side. I am told its a 350 cid from a 1958 Desoto. Can
this be confirmed from the numbers?

2) I have heard that you can find out a lot about a car by writing Chrysler,
with the serial numbers from the car. How does that work. What numbers? Where
do you send them?

Any numbers experts out there?

Bill McEntee