Re: [FORWARDLOOK] Brakes and Such

In regards to your brake problems:
1)  This is a good sign that the drums are out of round, at least in my
experience.  Any brake shop with a lathe can cut your drums.  Be careful
that they take only what they absolutely have to make 'em round.  These
drums are hard to find.

2)  This has occurred probably because of a poor adjustment, unless the
wear isn't substantial.  If your centers are worn more than 50% more
than the ends, this is more than likely an adjustment.  The anchor (for
want of a better term) has an arrow on it.  These must be adjusted on
initial installation of shoes.  The adjustment cams that are accessed
from the rear of the brake backing plate seems to take up for wear
during the normal life of the shoes.  Again, at least in my experience.

3)  I have never run the brakes without the centering springs, however,
this would account for some of the odd wear pattern.  The springs are
there for a reason.  I believe you are talking about the little return
springs that attach to the centerplane mechanism.  These help return the
shoes to a "relaxed" or unapplied position so they don't ride on the
drums and heat them and the drums up, causing premature wear and a host
of heat problems.  They also help return the cylinder pistons back to
neutral and push fluid back into master cylinder.

  Or are you talking about the hold down plates and twist springs?
These keep the shoe webs parallel to the backing plate, assuring a
"square" application of the shoe to the drum.  The keep the shoe from
twisting away from the backing plate,

4)  If you have a NAPA store nearby, I have had good luck with their
Raybestos line.  I believe the shoe number is 84. They have also been
able to get my old shoes relined for about 40.00 an axle.  They just did
a emergency brake band for my '50 Windsor.

Good luck
Mark
MoPar Man on the Oregon Coast
(and a 59 Plymouth nut)