Re: [FWDLK] Len Dawson

Someone on this list mentioned buying from Len Dawson up here in Washington
 state.
Over the last eight or so years I've ordered hundreds of parts from just about
 everyone of
any size advertising in Hemmings, and Mr. Dawson ranks at the bottom of the
 list, in my opinion.
While his catalog is impressive, he falls short in both the quality and accuracy
 of his inventory.
Add to this the fact that he cannot be contacted by telephone if there is a
 problem with an
order and his cryptic rudeness in what written communications you may receive,
 and
the whole experience is pretty poor. The Chrysler 300 club did a survey of parts
 suppliers a
year or so ago and reported similar negative experiences from its members with
 Dawson.

One example: I ordered an NOS clock for a mid-sixties B-body from him. Upon
 opening the
box, it was plainly obvious that the clock in the box was used, not NOS, and had
 been removed from
a customer's car by some dealer. The new one had been installed in their car and
 the inoperable one put
back in the box, perhaps to repair someday. Understandable -- I've coaxed,
 cajoled, and
rejuvenated a couple of these things myself. I sent a fax to Dawson explaining
 this, and offered that
I'd accept a reasonable price reduction, given the true condition of what I
 received. I also
had questions regarding a couple other parts in the shipment. What I received
 back was simply
an envelope in the mail from him containing another copy of his return policy,
 with various
sentences highlighted. Never mind that none of these sentences were on point and
 that his
policies are full of more holes than swiss cheese. He circled the notation that
 returns must be made
within 15 days (I think it was 15). Now, I had clearly notified him before that
 time had run out,
but another week passed before he got back to me, so he was implying that since
 we're now beyond
the time limit, I obviously didn't follow the rules, so tough luck, baby.

Dawson's parts show evidence of generally rough treatment, way beyond average
 shelf wear, in my experience.
Some of it is fine, but a lot of it is clearly not NOS or as advertised. This
 guy's view of the customer
is that they're a pain in the ass to brilliant businessmen like him. I'd be very
 careful buying anything from
this fellow. Sorry, but this is my take, and I've met others who've had similar
 dealings with him.
I've had no problems with anyone else, even given the inevitable mixups that
 occur from time to time.

- Dan