From:   Robert L. McGrath[SMTP:rmcgrath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent:   Saturday, May 30, 1998 9:54 AM
To:     tehoema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:        Re: [FWDLK] 6 to 12 VOLT Conversion....

Brendan Sheehy wrote:

> Do you want to convert for reliability or for convenience( run modern
>  accesories,
> etc)?.
>
> If reliability is what you are after, converting to a 6 volt alternator is an
> excellent solution. The alternator starts charging at a lower RPM (~600)  as
> opposed to the generator (~1000 -1200).  This keeps your lights from dimming
 at
> stoplight; keeps the battery charge up when the vehicle isn't always being
 used
> for high RPM highway driving.
>
> Converting to 12 volts is more difficult since most accesories have to be
> converted as well (fan motor, wiper motor).  Ammeter is not voltage sensitive,
>  it
> can stay. Fuel guage will need a regulated voltage reducer to operate. Turn
> signal flasher needs changing as well as all bulbs, coil.
>
> The vehicle will have to be converted to positive ground first for either
>  choice.
>
> I have converted all the 6 volt cars I have owned using one method or the
 other.
> Cars that I wanted to remain more or less original got the 6 volt alternator.
> Drivers got the 12 volt treatment.
> Just email me or the group if you want more details/suppliers.
>
> PlymouthV8@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >   Anyone here ever converted a '55 MOPAR electrical system before??? I was
> > considering the conversion, has anyone here done it, and if so did you run
> > into any problems?????
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Josh
> >  <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/acker75/plymouth.htm";>1955 Plymouth
 Page</A>
Josh's question and Brendan's answer is just one reason why I think this
mail group is the best thing that ever came down the pike!  I have a '55
Savoy with the flathead six and no
working accessories.  The car came
from the factory without a radio and
had an aftermarket unit installed later
which presently does not work.
 I bought the car to be a daily driver
and the only thing I miss is a working
FM radio.  Forget CD players, tapes, etc.
Should I be looking for a 6V factory tube-type
radio that works?  I want FM.  Does anyone know if FM radios were even
available as an option in '55?

Thanks,

Bob McGrath