[FWDLK] Help me!!!

I was on my way home from work today  with Nellie, (my 57 Coronet)  and I
started hearing  a grinding noise,  halfway down my block  i smelled burning,
so i checked under the hood and the generator smoking and it was really hot.
This probably means I need a new generator.  2 questions.   Where do I get a
new Generator, and I've heard of converting it to an alternator. What's the
process of that?    Since i need a new one anyway, should I just get a new
generator, or convert it to an alternator.>??    too bad i sold my spare one.
oh well
       Walter