[FWDLK] TIRES- skimming, shaving, etc

Used to be places to 'fix' out of round tires as several have posted by
skimming or 'grinding' rubber off the high spots.
Think modern good quality tire mfg has mostly fixed that.
BUT
I had bought bias plys for my 51 merc some 15 yrs ago from Discount Tire.
THey were CHEAP and did the job.  Ran em several seasons and drove trips up to
500  miles round trip on the intersttates. I decided to change back to radials
since I didnt think handling was 'quite right' and when they were removed
there was literally no sidewall stiffness!!!!! No wonder I had sidesway....
ANYHOW
The last I saw/heard of tire skimmers was for tires used for racing at round
and round tracks.
U might wanna check out the local stock car circuit and ask around   ;o/
Rotsa Ruck
Lars