Re: [FWDLK] Cooper vs. Goodrich....

JASON ROGERS wrote:

> I was wondering if you have personally received more feedback on your
> tire question.  There was only one response posted on the List.

Actually, I received several great responses from folks on the list.  To
paraphrase:

1)  Lots of you folks have and love Coopers on their "normal" cars, and
rate them as a good value for a dependable tire.  No one actually had
the Cooper wide whites, however.

2)  People who have the wide white Coker B.F. Goodrich tires love them,
too.

I would guess therefore that both would probably be about the same, with
the price edge leaning towards the Coopers.

However, at Pittsburgh Parts-a-Rama swap meet today, two different tire
vendors (neither of which sold wide white radials, so methinks they had
nothing to lose) both told me that the Coopers were in fact a
-remanufactured- tire.  Different from a recap/retread, the tires are
"scrubbed" of their rubber almost to the belts, and then that is used in
the mold with no rubber poured around it.  It would explain why there
were no manufacturer markings of any type on the tire.  However, I don't
know whether a $20-$40 price difference is really a savings for what is,
in reality, a used tire.

I have sent an email to Coker asking them about the wide whites -- I'll
share it with the group when I get their response.

-Dave

PS - It was a so-so swap meet (didn't see a single '58 Plymouth part),
but I had a great time nonetheless.  I'll fill y'all in on what I mean
by this later.  =)

--
|              THE FORWARD LOOK NETWORK               |
|  For owners and enthusiasts of all 1955-1961 MoPars |