Re: [FWDLK] Dot 5 silicone brake fluid

In a message dated 8/1/99 11:30:57 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
johnaire@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> silicone brake fluids (labeled DOT 5)
Just to add my comments regarding this subject, I considered Silicone fluid
for all my "old cars" in the 70's, but didn't know a lot about it.  At the
time I was referred to a local municipality that was using it in all their
vehicles.  Police, fire, other emergency vehicles, maintainence and
construction type vehicles, & everthing that had brakes.  At that point their
service department supervisor stated they had been using DOT 5 for over 5
years, and had virtually no problems.  That was quite a testamonial to me,
and so I started to use it whenever brake repairs were necessary.  Other
friends followed suit or had already started using it.  This product is
especially beneficial to people living in high humidity areas, or areas where
temperature changes create moisture or dampness conditions.  Except for
occassional stop light switch failures, I have never had or heard of any
other problems related to using Silicone brake fluid.  It is however,
absolutely necessary if converting to this fluid to do it right.  You must
first bleed the entire system with denatured alcohol (available at a drug
store or paint store), then take apart all brake cylinders and master
cylinder and clean with the denatured alcohol.  There is no residue from the
alcohol since it will evaporate.  Once you reassemble the system (use new
cylinder kits), you will probably never have to replace the rubber parts
again, and will should never have pitted cylinders again.  I can only add if
someone says to you that DOT5 Silicone brake fluid shouldn't be used, that
person probably stills prefers to read by candlelight!
                                Bill Borton