Re: [FWDLK] Ebay 59 Ply trim

To John Bartell,

> Can I run a cable under the roof without damaging anything?

In answer to your
question,NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A good
way to
get a kinked roof or spread door frames.

One way is to remove the front fenders and etc. then lift the bare body
shell with jacks and support the body on some heavy timbers mounted on
heavy duty 'sawhorses' outside of the frame and roll the frame out from
under.

Another method I have heard used is to leave the body attached to the frame
but elevated above it. If you remove the body from the frame, the stresses
that it takes from the supports that the body sat on while it was off the
frame may show up in in a wrinkle or kink in any new sheetmetal when it is
bolted back to the frame. One shop I contacted mounts the body to the frame
with long (24") spacers and bolts. They have 24" spacers made from heavy
wall steel pipe, large diameter washers, a 30" piece of large diameter
all-thread (as large as the holes in the frame and body allow) and several
nuts for the all-thread. They remove the body mount bolts and rubber
bushings and replace them with the spacers with the all thread through
them. The washers go on each end of the pipe and under the nuts. The nuts
are in the inside of the body and under the body to frame mounts. This
raises the body to a convenient working height (makes it look like a
monster truck) and allows access to the frame for painting. It also keeps
body stresses in the same places that they were when the body was on the
frame. The only places that the frame will not get painted is where the
washers were. This can be taken care of when the body is first removed or
before it is replaced on the frame.

Another method is to use a spare frame for the body to sit on while it is
being worked on then replace it on the original frame.

Larry