Re: [FWDLK] Impending storm Floyd

Here in Michigan we don't have hurricanes but last summer
(Memorial Day weekend) we had a freak shear wind storm off
the lake that brought 130mph winds for about 2 or 3 minutes
and in that time period, our town was almost devastated. The
local tire store was completely blown away leaving only a
Suburban on a lift on the cement floor - all else -
everything was gone!

Roofs were torn off homes and businesses and one entire
parcel of about 40 acres of 60' pines was flattened to
splinters. The State Park on the beach (full of campers) had
a pile of motor homes stacked at one end, all rolled
together.

A group of condos were literally blown apart to splinters
and most of us lost many mature trees - I lost (28) 80yr to
200yr oaks, pines and beech trees. Don't underestimate the
power of strong winds!!

Consider that this damage was done in only a couple of
minutes. If 155mph winds such as Floyd is packing hit the FL
and/or the GA coast, there are no lightly built structures
and few other garage type buildings that could survive! If
these winds were sustained for any period of time there are
very few buildings that could survive - damage free.

Brian