Re: [FWDLK] 56 Dodge (and other FL) Promos & Kits

Re: [FWDLK] 56 Dodge (and other FL) Promos & Kits

Greg and Colleen Filtz <filtz@xxxxxxx> wrote on Thursday September 23,
1999 at  3:55pm:

>I have seen 55 and 56 JOHAN Promo Kits on ebay.   Did JOHAN or anyone
>ever make model kits of the 56' Dodge?

Actually, AMT made kits and promos of both the '55 and '56 Dodge.  I
don't think Jo-Han did Dodges until '58; if either company did a '57
Dodge I'm not aware of it.  The '55 and '56 AMT kits are extremely
rare today.  These early kits included sets of 3 cars IIRC; I believe
one year the other two cars with the Dodge were Buick and T-Bird.

AMT and Revell also did '55 and '56 Chryslers as joint projects.  I
don't believe these were offered as promos but could be mistaken.
I believe these were done in 1/32 scale.  I also believe these were
made without clear plastic "glass".  Revell models of this era did not
come with glass, or so I have been told by a reliable source.

'55 and '56 Plymouth and DeSoto promos were done by Jo-Han.  The '56
models are much more common having been reproduced in the '80s.
The '55s (if you can find one) are interesting in that they show the
manufacturer's name as "Ideal Models".  John Haenle (Jo-Han) had to
change the company's name when Ideal Toy Co. objected.

The various Chrysler divisions assigned promo contracts without much
(if any) coordination.  The '60 model year, for example, saw Jo-Han
promos of the Plymouth Fury, Dodge Dart Phoenix, DeSoto Adventurer
and Chrysler New Yorker, while the Valiant and Imperial promos were
done by AMT/SMP.  Later years were even less logical, such as '69,
when MoPar promos were done by three different companies, two of which
apparently did their own B-bodies at a time when it might've made far
more sense for the company who did the Chargers (and was doing the
Barracuda for Plymouth) to do the Road Runners too...

Mike Sealey
(sorry for the billboard; this is the backup account I use when
Lycosmail
gets constipated...)

|               http://www.goplay.com - it's time to Go Play!              |