Re: [FWDLK] Generator to Alternator Conversion

Re: [FWDLK] Generator to Alternator Conversion

I'm going to go out on a limb here but I want to know why? I was often
asked to do this as well on old farm tractors and I could never
understand why. For the most part most generators will run 30 or 40
years without trouble other than the odd regulator and an occasional set
of brushes. They have no trouble keeping the battery up or grandma would
never have driven the car. I can absolutely positively, beyond any
shadow of doubt guarantee that no alternbator will ever be that
reliable. It's only advantage is that it will produce more output at
slower speeds. The only other advantage I can think of is it will not
come apart at speeds over 7000 RPM but I doubt that's the problem we are
trying to solve.
If you want to go ahead it is a simple matter to get a matching alt and
regulator and wire them up. Bat still goes to the battery
terminal.Regulator is fed from switched 12 volt supply and goes to the
field terminal of the alternator. That is for the single field wire
alternator. The Double field wire alternator is a bit different but only
minor as it feeds the field directly (switched 12 volt) and then returns
the field to the regulator through the second terminal to control the
ground side of the circuit. The regulator must be fed power from the
switched 12 volt as well as it is transistorized. The regulators for
both must be grounded to the body/chassis. A Motor Manual or a Chiltons
manual from the late 60's or early seventies will have an excellant
diagram in the General Service section (Back Half of the book). The old
charging system wiring and regulator can be dipensed with.
Don