Re: [FWDLK] Why we do what we do ?

Nick is right. My question to those that say it MUST BE ORIGINAL is, what
is the difference between a car customized in this era, possibly by the
owner, and cars customized in the 20's-40's by Fleetwood, LeBaron, Derham
or anyone else. Walter P's gift to his son of a 'custom '32 Chrysler
roadster was OK then and it's a much sought to see attraction now. Walter
P's car is featured in the WPC Newsletter this month. It's beautiful and
accepted and praised.
BUT, Don't forget, IT'S CUSTOMIZED!  Shudder-er-er-er-er!
A car is a way for a person to demonstrate their personality. Customizing
is the best way to show this for many people.
Well, that's enough. This soapbox is getting shaky.
                                                        Mike Sersen
                                                        :-{)

----------
> [...]
of
> them as cool cars.
> Am I a die hard mopar fan ? No. Actually, I'm not a die hard any brand
fan.
> I will say I would rather buy American than foreign, but is no
> justification, it's just what I like. As far as old cars, I own one
> Plymouth, 2 chevies and 1 oldsmobile.
> Did I go searching for any of the cars, No, I just happened upon them.
> When I was in College, my plymouth was parked for a year in the back of
the
> parking lot of the supermarket across the street. I liked the look of it,
> thought it was cool. I had always wanted a 57 Chevy, not because it was a
> Chevy, but because I liked the look of it and as a kid it's the car you
see
> most often. I finally got the owner of the Plymouth to sell it to me. I
> borrowed $300 bucks from my sister (I was broke and out of work with a
> broken leg) and drove the car home. Years down the road, I had finished
the
> plymouth and was hiking in the forest clearing some trail for an offroad
> motorcycle event when the I started taling to the pres of my club that I
> wanted a new project car and he tells me he has a 53 Chevy in his garage.
> After all the details were figured out. It was his first car bought in 63
> and built to go drag racing in 67 and left with it's new motor sitting in
> his garage since 67, never to be raced. Has 41,000 miles on the odo and
is
> basically rust and dent free. $1000 later, it was in my garage. This is
my
> current project it won't be resotred to original because I don't really
care
> about 100% originality, I just like it if it looks good.
> Last summer, my grandmother call me and see an ad in her local condo
> association paper. For $600 I came home this time with a 4 door 57 Beliar
> that needs floors and fender patches and interior. for $200 I picked up a
> use v/8 and auto trans. My wife likes 4 door cars and she wanted this
one.
> This one is on the back burner. This spring, my grandmother called me
again
> and hooked me up with a guy from her senior citizen center and for a
hundred
> dollars, I towed home a 74 Oldsmobile delta 88 convertible and after a
fuel
> pump and brake rebuild, some used tires, I have $425 into the car and I'm
> cruising with the top down. I've never actually gone looking for an old
car,
> I happen upon them and if I like them and they are a good deal, I buy
them.
> I also know of a 48 Dodge that will probably end up mine just so it
doesn't
> go to the junkyard. I do have a special place in my heart for my
Plymouth.