Re: [FWDLK] Paint Question

I don't know about the durability issue, but basecoat/clearcoat is not original
for Forward Look, and every collector car out there that is over 20 years old,
and some that are younger. It's nice, looks good, but is simply not correct. If
you are going to enter your car in any car shows that judge for originality, it
is an automatic point deduction. If you want your car to be exactly original,
clearcoat/basecoat won't cut it.
If that shop can't understand that about a vintage car, I would take my business
elsewhere. Besides, if they have an attitude like that, it makes me wonder about
the attitude they apply to their work. They may be just the fellows to paint a
fender on a 3 year old Cavalier, but if a shop told me the only way to do my
vintage car was non original, I think I would take my business elsewhere. It all
depends on what you want to do with your car. If the originality is not an
issue, I would go for it, if they are as good as you say. But if they had told
that to me, the first thing that would have came out of my mouth is, what's the
matter? Can;t you handle a straight enamel/lacquer job anymore? It is actually
possible to have a paint job that is too nice, and if you enter your car at the
Mopar shows at Carlisle, Columbus and quite a few others, they will know your
paint is incorrect, regardless of how nice it is. Don't mean to be a stick in
the mud about this, just want you to consider what you are going to do with your
car before you lay your money out. I  never have heard of a shop before telling
a customer what they will and won't do to a customer's car. They're not the ones
paying for it. Just doesn't seem right to me.
Phil Patterson