Re: [FWDLK] any clues?

Just as a off hand guess, replace the condensor. I have seen these go
bad with no warning. Check the points while you are at it, If the
condensor was bad, then the points may be pitted as well from arcing.
Also, make sure you have good connections from and to the coil and
distributor. Any interuption in the ignition hot wire or ground can
cause and off/on condition much like turning your key off, then back on
to make the car backfire. The other possiblity is, maybe now with use,
something has come loose in the fuel system and has clogged the idle
jets or another part of the carbureator causing a lean condition. A
weakening, soon to be dead fuel pump can also cause this, but not
usually at idle. Good luck and let us know what you find.