[FWDLK] 150 MPH speedo gear, Nordstrom's, etc

[FWDLK] 150 MPH speedo gear, Nordstrom's, etc

Hey all you FWLKRS
I have a need for a 16 tooth speedo gear for my 57 Chrysler.  Apparently
this is the little nylon gear that goes on the tranny end of the cable.  Or
does anyone have a complete speedo cable from a 57 - 59 "300" they want to
part with?
IMHO
I personally have not seen the Nordstrom's Ad.   As someone stated,
sometimes a car or cars are sacrificed to help preserve others.  While I
personally can't condone the way the movie "Christine" destroyed nearly two
dozen 58 Plymouths, the movie did make the cars "stars" virtually overnight.
It wasn't right, but some would say that the end justifies the means.  I can
only hope that many of the cars in "Christine" were only shells that
received cosmetics in order to be filmed.  Please don't get me
wrong......having seen the film nearly 50 times, I get physically ill during
the Darnell's U-Fit-it scene when Buddy Repperton and his ilk destroy,
beyond all imaginable rationality, a beautifully restored example.

When I get bummed about my 57 Windsor not being finished, I watch Christine
just to see her in motion.  I usually turn off the volume, sit and watch and
revel in the finny-ness.  Sure, it's not the Chrysler, but it's close
enough.  My favorite scene is the Camaro scene.  Before some of you get
ruffled, if you slow-motion the video tape, you can see that the Camaro they
used was just a shell, no drive train at all.  You can see the pavement of
the gas station when the car is in the service bay and the hood is askew. No
hi-pro engine - nothing.

I also like to gaze in wonder at the pictures of Mark Hash's 57 Fury.  If
some of you guys ever get the chance, see this car.  Mark's a great guy and
he has done this car right.  It is the absolute best example I've ever seen.
My Windsor will never be that nice, but it's great to dream.

It took me a while to convince her of the historical value of cars and that
"No dear, you simply can't go down to the Chrysler agency and buy a new 1963
Imperial LeBaron Southampton anymore".   At first, when she found out about
my hobby, she was turned off.  "How can any one own 25 cars and only have
nine that run and only three of those that are decent?  What a waste of time
and money."  Believe me, I've gone through the "You love that 57 more than
you love me" stages, and so far we haven't split. She is slowly warming up.
She actually RODE in my 65 Barracuda (fake Formula S with a slant six, and
correct stripes, thank you).  That in itself was a major turning point.  Now
she gets almost as excited as I do when I talk and dream about the 57
Windsor.  "You simply have to have it done by summer so we can go out and
play"

As far as the intentions of Nordstrom's.... They are in the business to make
money, and lots of it.  They are not in the business to save cars or to
preserve history.  They apparently are not too much into the PR business
either.  My girlfriend has seen the offending commercial and she thought it
was cute, but did react in the same way some are mentioning about "how dumb
do they think we women are?" Although she doesn't appreciate my hobby as I
do, she does know what kind of work and expense it does take to breathe life
into an old car.

Just my dollar ninety-eight.
Mark
MoPar Man on the Oregon Coast

P.S.
We have a Walmart here, and we haven't got the 57 300 yet.  I want one for
every color they offered on the 300's in 57. I did buy all of the AMT 58
Edsels off the shelf.  I'll buy them all when they come in again.  I know it
sounds piggish but I'm gonna have an Edsel dealership YET!