Re: [FWDLK] iron torqueflite

JRawa@xxxxxxx wrote:

> hello all,
>
> ran into a little problem... my friend's 58 plym's torqueflite took a dive.
> anyone have leads on a rebuild kit or have any good trans's around on the
> east coast [ny area]
>
> any leads would be great,
> jim

To Jim and Everyone;

I have been a bit delayed on this post but for everyone a big thanks for
the help when I lost my reverse band on my torqueflite last fall.To
recap the local transmission "expert" here in Kalamazoo wanted $1500-
$2000 to just fix the broken reverse band.My plea for counsel went out
and I want to thank these kind folks who helped out:

Dave Grove
Ed Dea
Don Dulmage
Jack and Loretta
Larry Stanley
The Car Nutz
D Came
David (the godfather who created the community)

While many great options were provided I chose a path which I which I
strongly recommend. Dave Grove gave me the name of George Riehl.By
good fortune he lives about an hour away.George was a founder of the
Chrysler 300 Club Inter. and I know many on this list know of George.
While I could probably waste some serious byte space talking about all
that he has done suffice to say if there ever was a Chrysler Collector
Hall of Fame I am sure he would be voted in on the first ballot.

By avocation George rebuilds cast iron torqueflites,so many he has lost
count.After having my trans pulled I stayed with him while he broke
it down.In the process I learned an awful lot...mostly that he has
forgotten more about these torqueflites than I will ever know!! :-)

Anyway to make a long story even longer, my reverse band broke due to
the wearing down of the clutch pack.If the reverse band had not broke
he thought I would have had another 1000 miles before one fine day I
would push drive and not go anywhere.George had it completely rebuilt
in two days.Being a Polara Wagon it was the heavy duty rebuild kit.

The cost $150.00 to pull and replace the trans.George charged $600 for
the complete rebuild he said would be good for at least another 80,000
miles....lets see at 500/1000 miles per year.... Perhaps the best part
is how it drives, very crisp. Now if I just had the confidence in the
brakes...next spring.

George Riehl's number is 1-517-849-2783.

Happy New Year!

Bob Howard
60 Polara Wagon