[FWDLK] On getting an engine rebuilt: Do's and Don'ts

[FWDLK] On getting an engine rebuilt: Do's and Don'ts

As the slowest weekend mechanic in America, I'm duly proud of this past
weekend's feat:  I successfully pulled my 230CID flathead six and delivered
it to the shop for rebuilding.  Along the way, I asked a number of questions
and got some great answers.  Here's a sampling:

Engine Removal
============

Lars -- on pulling the engine:
"anyhoo when I pulled the 277 from my 56 wagon-
had radiator only out, nicer if hood is removed too but U can do it
without..."
[I'm glad I read this.  I was able to get it out without removing the hood,
but my first inclination was to take it off.  I'm glad I tried without
first.]

Lars   -- on protecting the motor in transit:
" In the pickup, use old tires to cradle
it and buffer it, it can sorta lay on its side if U wish."
[This was tremendous advice, and worked beautifully!]

Putting The Engine Back
==================

Bill B. -- on polarizing the regulator:
"Yes, do jump across the Batt & Arm (B & A) terminals momentarily to
 polarize the system.  However, this only needs to be done if you remove
and/or replace the generator or regulator.  I don't believe you need to do
it
if you just removed a battery cable.  By the way, if you're removing one
cable only always make sure it is the ground cable."

Wayne Graefen -- on torquing head bolts:  "You are
going to be torquing them cold before the first start, torquing
them after the engine has warmed up at least twice, then
torquing them again after a few hundred miles, then again a
couple thousand later."

I also recall someone recommending that you only snug up the manifold bolts
after the engine has reached operating temperature; but I forget where this
advice came from.

Are there any other tricks and tidbits folks can add to this list?  How
about a first time start -- are there ways to pump oil through the block
beforehand?

(Oh, and by the way -- the block is painted silver, and the pan blue.  Is
this original?)

        adTHANKSvance
        Dan
        '55 Savoy