[FWDLK] (no subject)

Dear list members,
Sorry to bother everyone with very basic questions, but I'm in the middle of
a local move and my shop manual is packed away where I can't get to it.

I'm pretty sure that my carburetor (Carter 1 barrel) isn't in the best of
shape. The car has always been hard starting, even with a new battery, and it
back fires occasionally. Someone on the list recently gave a strong
recommendation for a rebuilder who did the 4 barrel carbs on his 300.  Having
just spent $190 for two new radials for the front of my '55 Savoy (had to do
it - the right front kept going flat suddenly), now I have to think seriously
about the carburetor, and the linkage (which keeps hanging up).  For a simple
carburetor like the Carter BBS, will a rebuild be a good investment or should
I be looking for an NOS replacement?  Right now the car needs about
everything (U joints- Exhaust Manifold, Steering Rebuild). I need to be smart
on how I spend my limited capital.  By the way, after considering advice from
the list, I went with a 6 volt battery from NAPA.  800 cranking amps for $70.
 The radials I put on it are Broadway Classics. Not an authentic whitewall
for a '55 (1.3 inch), but wide enough to look real good on a daily driver of
that vintage, and they were $66.00 a tire versus $145 for a Coker 2.5" radial
whitewall.   But, I tend to ramble.

Anyway, as always, your thoughts will be much appreciated.  Someday I hope to
get to Carlisle to met you guys in the flesh.  I feel like I know you already
just from following the list.

Thanks in advance,

Bob McGrath
'55 Savoy 6 cylinder