Re: [FWDLK] Looking for a 230 block in South Jersey

--- Dan Morton <morton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, this just in from the machine shop:  My block
> has been rebuilt at least once before, and now it
> won't pass muster.  It's already got a sleeve in
> it, and the other cylinders can't be bored out
> any more.  Looks like I need a new block
> (fortunately, the crank is good).
>
> Does anyone in or near South Jersey, have an old 230
> block they'd be interested in selling?

I can't remember after all these years whether it was
a crank or bellhousing question, but when I needed a
230 foy mt '56 Savoy 20-odd years ago I had to make
sure I got one out of a car with the same tranny (in
my case a Powerflite). If the crank is the issue,
you're probably OK. I'm almost 99% positive the block
out of a '53-'54 Plymouth with Hy-Drive won't
interchange regardless, as the engine and tranny
shared the same oil on these (an oil change took
something like 11 quarts!).

Mike Sealey, San Francisco CA
'57 Plymouth Sport Suburban
(picking up tomorrow!)