[FWDLK] brake master cylinder

Hi all,
        Can someone, make that, will someone, please tell me how to get the
shaft or rod out of the master cylinder?  I am changing my 59 Ply over
to dual master cylinder, and I have bought a dual master cylinder for a
70 Ply...will bolt right up, but I cannot get the shaft from the brake
pedal into the cylinder to come out of the cylinder.   It has to be
something simple....????? The new master cylinder I bought did not come
with the shaft, so I am assuming I need to get the one out of the used
master cylinder I have here from a 70 Ply.  Help!!!!
John in WI