[FWDLK] Record Setting 56 Dodge

Greetings, I have noticed that a growing number of accounts of the 56 Dodges
that ran at the Salt Flats. These accounts report that these cars were D500
or specially prepared D500 equipped cars. I had collected a lot of 56
magazines and recalled one in particular which covered the event, Motor Sport
Jan-Feb '56. The article tells the date of the test-Sept. 10-24 '55, records
set, and how the cars were chosen. According to the article the cars were
picked at random from the Dodge assembly line by AAA official J. E.  Schipper
and no special equipment, fuel, tires, gears or parts were permitted to be
used. "AAA officials impounded the car and every piece of equipment used on
it just as it came from the factory and the car was never free from close
supervision by AAA until the record runs were completed." Dodge also has a
full page ad on the inside cover which boast of these facts and states that
is "the same car you can buy yourself-powered by our new 230 H. P.  V-8
engine." The records set would also indicate a stock sedan-only 114.05 mph
for the flying mile on the favorable surface of the Salt Flats which pales in
comparison to the 130 mph plus runs of the Dash One powered car at Daytona
Speed Weeks, and both cars were driven by Danny Eames. Across the board the
records while impressive for the date were indicative of the cars standard
engine. Further more the D500 had note been announced to the public until
December and the Dash One engine was not seen until Daytona. Its apparent to
me that this was early in the model year and Dodge was building up the image
of its standard car. All this evidence points to a stock 230 HP sedan and
nothing indicates to the contrary. The car was very impressive nevertheless
traveling 31, 224 miles in 14 Days and setting 306 records. Thanks Tim