Re: [FWDLK] 1958 dodge spring special

I have the Canadian 1958 Chrysler of Canada Parts Catalogue, and it lists
the Spring Dress-Up Mouldings as shown on page 66 of the August 1993 issue
of "Collectible Automobile".   The parts book shows the side trim, the fin
end filler and the license insert finish panel and ornament.   The
illustrations show the "Custom Royal" script on the forward end of the front
fender, as in 1957.  Also, all Canadian-built 1958 Dodge Custom Royal models
came with the three "spuds" on either end of the front bumper.  That is what
Chrysler of Canada called those "teeth" on Dodge Custom Royals in 1955-1958.
The "spuds" were actually carried over from 1957 to help differentiate the
Custom Royal from its smaller brothers at the front end.   The Spring
Dress-Up Mouldings section does not list different headlamp doors.

The Regal Lancer package, though, with its wider trim, contrasting paint
scheme, and special nameplates, is not mentioned in the Canadian parts book.
However, various parts of the package are listed, such as the "Regal Lancer"
namplates, as "U.S. Built".   Thus the Regal Lancer package was not
available in Canada.

As for engines, the Canadian-built Dodge Custom Royal (LD3-H), DeSoto
Firedome (LS2-M) and Chrysler Windsor (LC2-M) all used the 354-cid engine.
The six-cylinder Plymouth (LP1) and Plymouth-bodied Dodge (LE1) used the
251-cid flat-head six while the V8 versions used the 313-cid V8.  The
354-cid V8 was not available on the Plymouth or the Dodge
Crusader/Regent/Mayfair.

By the way, Dodge Custom Royal convertibles were imported, as well as the
Dodge Custom Royal wagons.  So these models would have had the
American-market engines and any American packages.

Bill
Vancouver, BC

> Since Paul said his '58 Dodge CRL is a Canadian Dodge (the only one with
the full
> Dodge body) does anyone know if the "Spring Special" option groups were
offered in
> Canada?
>
> I seem to remember the SS being a USA offering only - but since the CRL
had the
> right sheet metal, a SS could have been possible. The Mayfairs, Regents,
Crusaders
> and Suburban wagons couldn't have used the trim options on the rear end
since they
> had the Plymouth sheet metal. As I recall they had two V8s, a 354 poly
head and a
> 313 in addition to the 250 flathead 6cyl.
>
> Hmmmm?
>
> Brian
> 57 D500s in MI
>
> ALIENVOICE@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Again,  all the information in Collectible Automobile 10/2 is pretty
much
> > correct.   The wider body-side molding and the grill medallions were the
> > "Deluxe Molding Package", and the bright fin end-cap and wide rear
license
> > plate escutcheon formed the "Bumper Appearance Group".  Some cars had
one or
> > the other, some both.  I guess you could also order a Spring Special
color
> > without either, but would it still be a "Spring Special"?
> >
> > My Coronet has the Deluxe Molding Package, but not the Bumper Appearance
> > Group.  Currently all white, but will probably add some red to two-tone
it
> > and set off the beautiful lines.
> >
> > << > According to Collectible Automobile, Vol.10#2:
> >  >
> >  > [1958] "Dodge's 'New Spring Swept-Wing' included a wider, full-length
> >  > body-side molding with a textured insert; a Lancer helmet-and-shield
center
> >  > grille medallion on Custom Royals or Dodge crest badge on Royals and
> >  > Coronets; a triangular bright fin rear end cap; and a new, wider
chromed
> >  > license plate escutcheon.
> >  > ...The ad also depicted body-color headlamp doors, but they
apparently
> > never
> >  > made it into production.  In addition, three new deluxe colors were
added--
> >  > Poppy Red, Frosted Turquoise, and Paris Rose-- together with new
> >  > turquoise-and-black and red-and-black interiors."
> >  > They go on to talk about some spring option quirks and the Texan and
Regal