From: "Mel Lester Jr." <meljr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] 56 Savoy 440 project
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 09:41:14 -0700

Gary,

I believe the most significant advantage to this approach is that the disk
brakes, front suspension, engine/transmission mounting, exhaust manifolds,
power assists and steering etc. become merely a by-product of the frame
graft. Because they all come from a 70 B-Body, parts are readily available
and the underlying factory engineering should result in a safer handling
and better overall conversion than if I tried to integrate everything
myself.

Instead of keeping the B Body 8-3/4" rear end in the Savoy, I will
probably switch to something slightly narrower to get more tire in the
wheel wells and just go ahead and tub it at the same time.  The previous
owner had the frame braced, boxed and reinforced (especially around the
spring perches) so it should be able to absorb the power of the 440/727.

I am greatly interested in the progress of your project.  Please keep me
updated.

Thanks,

-mel (in sunny [today] Oregon)

Mel Lester Jr.       meljr@xxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.connet80.com/~meljr

PS - I posted this thread back to the list thinking it might be of general
interest to others doing updates or modification to early FL projects.

On Thu, 3 May 2001, gl pavlovich wrote:

> Mel,  Thank you for the information.  I will study the pics and go from
> there.  Will let you know how it goes.  Take care, Gary Pavlovich.

Ply =
> > > Savoy, which I bought in 1968. I am in the process of changing out
the =
> > > good running 277 Poly and rest of the drivetrain for the 402 Poly I
just
> =
> > > built (318 Poly bored and stroked to 402") race prepped 727 and 8
3/4 =
> > > Sure Grip.  I have purchased the disc brake set-up from AAJ as well
but
> =
> > > am considering a rack and pinion or Volare front suspension swap.
My =