Re: [FWDLK] Any AC experts?

    I have lots of experiance converting 12 to 134a, and will soon be
hooking up a 134 system in my own car (65 Polara). Basically, 134 will cool
just as well as 12 while you'e moving, but will not cool quite as good as 12
does sitting still. But for the price, you won't notice any big difference.
The important thing is that when converting, you reseal the entire system,
replacing all o-rings with new ones, and lubricating those new o-rings with
Ester oil (the oil you use with the 134 system). You must also drain the
compressor of its oil and refill it with the Ester oil that comes with a
conversion kit.
    The idea is to get all the old oil out of the system. Use a high
pressure air nozzel to blow out the condenser and evaporator. When doing
this, its a good idea to hold a rag over the other end so you don't make a
big mess.
    You must replace the accumulator/drier. You must replace the orphus tube
if your system has one (most Mopar systems use an expansion valve, which may
or may not need replacement, I've never converted a system with an exp valve
before).
    As far as the fittings go, there are three different types of 134a
adapter fittings. The kind that are hollow all the way through (a), the kind
that have a valve and rattle when shaken (b), and the kind that have a valve
and don't rattle (c).
To install:
    a & b. Lube the inside with ester oil and attach to original R12
fitting.
    c. Remove the shrader valve from the R-12 fitting, lube 134 fitting, and
attach to original R-12 fitting.
Seal the whole system up and then evacuate it for 30-60 minutes with a
vacuum pump.
Make a special effort not to allow the drier to be exposed to the
atmostphere for more than 15-30 minutes (moisture will ruin a drier).
Charge it up with 134a and you're ready to go.

Dave Casey