[FWDLK] 55 Desoto Shocks

I went to Autozone to find some front shocks for the beast.  They had no
listing, so I bought a pair of Gabriels like the ones I installed years ago.
The sales guy had looked up a substitute by comparing lengths to an old
shock I had.

Substitute:  Gabriel 81494

You have to expand the bolt slots in the bottom support mounting bracket to
clear the larger desoto mounting bolts.

We ran these gabriels for several years with no problems, but I would prefer
a different part number that is more like the original.  Does anyone know of
a better substitute for the original shock?

John Compton

P.S.  I stopped by Sears today and they had the rear shocks listed in their
catalog.  The One day sale price was $6.99 each (50% off).  I had to order
them of course.