Re: [FWDLK] intake torque specs

Dave

Are you sure you have a 55 301? I thought that engine (similar to a 318
Poly) was introduced in mid 1956. In 55, I think Plymouth used the Dodge V8,
which is totally different. Probably a 241 or 260.

Check out http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/4164/55.htm for a
discussion of 55/56 Plymouth engines.

The easiest way to tell the Dodge Poly from a Plymouth Poly is that the
Dodge intake manifold sits up like a spider on individual legs and has a
separate plate to seal of the lifter valley. The Plymouth (318 style) uses
the manifold to seal the lifter valley.

You should be able to get all of your gasket needs from Felpro, from
complete engine sets to just manifold sets, for either engine type. There
was also a gasket set for a 56 and newer Plymouth V8 (318 style) recently on
eBay.

If you have a Dodge engine, the intake manifold torque should be identical
to the 56 at 30 ft-lbs. Data is in the Specifications at the back of the
Manual. The Manual doesn't say so, but I would tighten up the bolts on any
manifold by starting in the center, alternating from side to side, and work
out to the ends. Start with 10 ft-lbs, and then repeat at 20, then 30.
Retorque after driving a hundred miles or so.

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500