[FWDLK] '57 kickdown adjustement on Torqueflite: results

[FWDLK] '57 kickdown adjustement on Torqueflite: results

Hi all,
Rather than answer privatly to Dave, David and others who sent me
good advises, i answer to the whole list as i think it'll be
helpful for someone later.
This afternoon i've checked the kickdown linkage, pedal angle
etc.. First i adjust the pedal to 118 ° as says the FSM. Mine was
around 115 ° and now it is near 120 ° !! Then i adjust the
throttle rod at trans. lever to have the throttle lever all the
way back when the pedal goes to floor (i've a help who pushs the
pedal). This adjustement is forbidden in the FSM !!
I re-check the adjustements to have no binding rods.
Then i had to adjust the " fork" on bell crank accelerator rod
(between carb. and cranks assy). If I follow the FSM (acc. rod
all the way back = Throttle lever all the way forward against
stop) I haven't enough travel: the throttle lever will not move
all the way back at full throttle !
So i don't follow the FSM... I adjust to have throttle lever all
the way back at full throttle. In closed throttle (or gas pedal
released) the trans. lever is just at its end of play (ther's 20
° play on this lever before it contacts the kickdown valve, i
verify on a spare valve body i have).
Last check was to see , at gas pedal floored, if the carb was
full open (w/o binding axle..) and throttle lever was all the way
back at the same time.
After doing that, i test the car. Wonderful ! Now the slippage
between 2 and 3 has completly disapear and gears upshift at
higher speed (i don't know which speed, my speedo doesn't
work..). The 2nd gear remains as much as the 1st and is not
"skipping" as before... Seems that at 1/2 throttle the 1st
upshifts to 2nd at 25 mph and 2nd upshifts to 3rd at 40 mph;
remember that i estimates the speed (with the wind ?...)
But i haven't still kickdown. I ' ve tried several times at
estimate 40-50 mph (i was in 3rd) and 15-20 mph (i was in 2nd)
and sorry, no kickdown ! But after my test i check the oil level
and it is below "low". Perhaps the reason ?

--
Philippe COURANT (Pau, France)
Imperial 57 Crown convertible

- American Car Club de France (ACCF) : http://www.accf.com