[FWDLK] Starter Solenoid question

I am attempting to replace the starter solenoid in my 59 Dodge. The old one seemed to be working fine but did not have the 4th stud to attach the neutral safety switch wire. So, I got a new 4 stud unit. Now, when I attached the new solenoid, the car turns over with the key OFF. Basically, its as if I have no solenoid at all and am going directly from the battery to the starter. If I put in the old solenoid, this does not happen. I tried hooking up the ignition wire first, then the battery to the solenoid but no difference. As soon as I touch it to the solenoid, the car attempts to start. What is going on? I am not an electrical wiz but according to the wiring diagram, it should be straight forward. Any thoughts? Does this just mean the solenoid is bad?

James
1959 Dodge