[FWDLK] 3 minutes somewhere in Europe ...

[FWDLK] 3 minutes somewhere in Europe ...

Thursday evening, I had my american flag ready for the mourning that was
going to take place all over Europe on Friday noon. I even ironed it myself
so that it would stand out ... On Friday morning, I suddenly had an idea :
why not take it to the factory, so that it would even serve a greater
purpose than being at my home ? Arriving at work with the american flag got
me some "thank you for this thought" gazes and winks.

I got to the communication dept of our factory and offered them my american
flag. They welcomed this offer, because they did not have an american flag
in stock. The communication manager came into the office and he shook my
hands twice, each time congratulating me on having this thoughtful idea.

Would you believe an old DODGE truck put up my american flag on the mast
(because the lifting rope was missing), among all other french trucks we
have at the factory ... On the other mast at right, a french flag was also
set at half mast. They floated together on this grim day ...

Quickly, noon arrived and the factory siren went on, indicating the start of
the mourning. I was already outside, gazing at my american flag and thinking
of all the victims and the tragedies. The world went silent ... And those
three minutes were soon over, as the factory siren went on a second time ...
I wiped the tears that were on my face and went back to my office.

Just as the three minutes were over, the sun came back ... I welcomed it as
a symbol that good and justice will eventually prevail ...

As I write, my american flag still floats at half mast at the factory. I am
proud of it, and will remember this day for as long as I live.

From your friend in France and Belgium ...

Vincent Van Humbeeck