[FWDLK] Struts

Hi All -

What is the purpose of the struts that connect the lower control arms to the
frame ?  Also, I noticed that my 59 Dodge Coronet uses struts that are
thinner in diameter than my 58 Ply.  But the ones used on the 58 Ply were
also used on the 59 Dodge suburban and Custom Royal Lancer conv., as well as
the senior models.  What would be the result if I would go to the thicker
struts for my Coronet ?

Ron