[FWDLK] Jumpin Jiminie Timing (55 Desoto)

[FWDLK] Jumpin Jiminie Timing (55 Desoto)

Help

We completely disassembled my son's 291 because it had a bad main bearing.  When I had the crank in the shop I had them send out the camshaft because it didn't look so hot.  The crank is now .010 under and the camshaft was parkerized.  A quick hot tank, new cam bearings and everything is go.

Now the problem.  I installed the distributor and set it in the approximate position.  The engine started and was easily timed.  It ran great when parked.

After a short drive, the engine died.  Spark is good.  Gas pressure ok.  Carb squirts gas in venturi when accelerator is pumped.

Started cranks, but the engine will not run.  Doesn't even sound like it wants to start.

With the timing light, it appeared the timing had jumped about 30 degrees.

I turned the distributor by hand to compensate and the engine started, then I moved it back to normal position.

The timing chain is new and not jumping a cog.

Turning the distributor rotor when installed in engine, the shaft rocks back and forth a few degrees (seems normal).

Is there something I should know about the distributor drive gear?

What did I do wrong?

John Compton